I’ve realized that I barely post “main dish” type recipes here! It’s not like we’re noshing on desserts all of the time (oh, how I wish!), but for what ever reason I seldom share our main courses. I’d like to remedy that by sharing the easy and delicious recipe for this Cajun Chicken Pasta. I first spotted it at The House of Spice, and after serving it, it was declared a winner. I’m not keen on cream-heavy pasta dishes, and this dish fits the bill. It’s loaded with veggies, protein, and can be spiced as lightly or heavily as tolerated. It’s a meal that both children and adults both can enjoy- A total winner in my book 😉
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Yield: 4 – 6 Servings
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into thin strips (any color or combination of colors)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (diced tomatoes can be used; simply run through the blender before using)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound dried pasta
- Fresh or dried parsley, for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, combine chicken and Cajun seasoning. Mix well, making sure that the chicken is evenly coated.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
In a large pan, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and no longer raw. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add more oil if needed, and add onions, bell peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, and extra Cajun seasoning (if needed). Cook until the vegetables have softened and browned lightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside with chicken.
Add the tomatoes and water, and cook for a few minutes. Add whipping cream and cook until thickened, several minutes (might take longer if using diced tomatoes).
Add chicken and vegetables back into the pan and gently mix. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Check seasonings, adding more if necessary. Serve garnished with parsley.